Thank you for referring your patient to Karuna.
All referrals must meet the following criteria:
- Client has a life limiting illness and prognosis
- Client requires symptom management
- Client or their decision maker is aware of and agrees to palliative care referral
- Client or their decision maker agrees to the primary goals of Karuna Hospice Services – to control symptoms, offer psychosocial support, maintain quality of life and respect the clients/families EOL wishes
- Client must live within the Karuna catchment area – Brisbane’s northern suburbs up to Caboolture and Bribie Island
- Client must be Covid-19 negative
To avoid delay in processing your Referral, please ensure copies of all relevant medical information is provided: e.g. relevant specialist letters, doctor’s notes, current medication list, medical imaging and pathology results.
If the referral meets our criteria, our Clinical Intake Nursing Coordinator will contact the client directly to arrange the first admission visit in the home. Our clinical specialist nurse will then contact you to discuss the client’s plan of care. The plan of care will include obtaining from you, Standard Medication Orders and verification of End of Life documentation if available.
Our specialist Clinical Team includes:
- Specialist Clinical Nurses and Clinical Nurse Consultant (after hours telephone support)
- Part time General Practitioner
- Social Worker
- Spiritual Carer
Karuna’s Specialist Clinical Team are available to provide palliative support and advice to other Health Care Professionals.
Karuna endeavours to work closely with the client’s health care team to ensure integrated and supportive care is provided to our clients and their families.